Get the Right Care

tablets and measure.

Did you know we have a support group?

Your questions and concerns have most likely been asked and answered in our support group. Moderated by our dietitians, nurses, and staff. We provide you with reliable patient education and resources to help you throughout this life-changing process.

Vitamin and Mineral Deficiency Post Bariatric Surgery

Obesity is a large and growing health concern in Canada, one that carries many health risks. 

In 2018, a systematic review of provincial obesity statistics from Statistics Canada showed that 26.8% of adult Canadians meet the height and weight classifications to be considered obese. Considering the proportion of the population that is also overweight, which is 36.3%, the total shows 63.1% of adult Canadians face increased health risks due to excess weight. 

In Canada, there are many people who could benefit from bariatric surgery. This article will help address a common health concern: Vitamin and mineral deficiency post-bariatric surgery. 

While it is true that certain types of bariatric surgery can lead to nutrient deficiencies, bariatric surgery patients can manage these deficiencies through supplementation.

Nutritional Supplementation Following Gastric Bypass Surgery

Following weight loss surgery, bariatric patients often need to address micronutrient deficiencies through supplementation.Some of the most common deficiencies include vitamin D deficiency, folate deficiency, zinc deficiency, calcium deficiency, vitamin B12 deficiency, vitamin C deficiency, vitamin E deficiency, thiamine deficiency, and other mineral deficiencies.  In consequence, following certain types of weight loss surgeries including gastric bypass, gastric sleeve gastrectomy or duodenal switch, a patient will require vitamin and mineral supplementation. 

The emergence of an unbalanced nutritional composition can be prevented  by the use of supplemental  vitamins and minerals . Consultation with a bariatric surgery specialist including a registered dietitian is necessary